A World of Ramblings

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Salih the Scientist

I never thought I'd fall for a Scientist. It always felt far outside of my jurisdiction that I wouldn't be able to connect, understand, keep him interested in me enough and keep myself interested in him long enough to bud and grow a relationship. After all, how much could I have in common with a Scientist? Science, though as interesting as it may be, has never been something I am great at, and to be frank, something I know very little about.

A writer, a poet, a historian, a teacher, a painter, a dancer and the list goes on. I always thought I'd end up with someone from the infinite list of social science or humanities section of working life. It just made sense, consider since those are the areas I am in, eventually I'd meet someone in that line of work and yada, yada, yada. You know how straight logic works.

Salih, though is a scientist, one that is absolutely brilliant in my eyes. Again, I don't know much about science. But, it's hard not to like science around him. He talks of his experiments, of the literature he's recently read, of the grand ideas he has, his expectations and he talks in such an animated voice with light that literally beams out of the apples of his eyes. His coarse voice is happy. The corners of his eyes have crumpled, wrinkled and though, nothing but his pupils peers out, they've enlarged enough to pull you into them and make you listen to him for hours and hours about well, reactions, balanced equations and the crystal structures that I absolutely have no idea about.

He loves it so much that he is willingly to put up with any harsh treatment, difficult conditions and even all the obstacles his Professor throws in front of him, quite selfishly might I add? I love his determination, his ability to strive far and everything he has done to achieve them. He puts in long hours, endures through the stress and handles well enough with the disappointments of his experiments not working all the time. Though he never loses heart, he continues on trying to figure out the problem, trying the next best thing and moving on, walking on strongly, determined and motivated on the path he has chosen and to get to the one he would like to be on. I have such deep respect and such admiration for him that, sometimes it is difficult to explain and I just get left behind in awe, watching his back.

Does it matter what he does, as long as he does it so well, with a heart full of passion and with determination that seems to sings in his very soul that is very clear to even a non-believer? Honest job, for an honest man :)

No comments: