A World of Ramblings

Thursday, May 10, 2012

United States of Malls

This seems to be the theme of my week. Everyone is talking about shopping, malls and stores and fashion.

While I do love clothes, and looking a certain way that I feel represents me in the way I want to be represented, I am not fond of the mall. I am not going to say I've never been interested in Malls, considering I spent a good portion of my high school years in malls. In ninth, tenth and even to an extent eleventh grade, I spent most of my Fridays at the mall, roaming around with my two friends. Though I never did shop much, mall I went to every Friday with those two girls, after school like clock work, like they took some sort of attendance and awarded points or medals at the end of the year or something.

Though, since my 19th year on this planet the habit of mall going has changed tremendously. I get bored and irritable at the malls. I also become tedious, complain endlessly and become somewhat of a jerk. My maximum time limit at the mall is about 15 minutes, where I check one or two stores at most and then go home. The crowd, the lines, the crazy people who seems to race and battle each other for the best sense of fashion, or to be crowned the shopping queen. These are things that are tedious and boring to me. I feel marginalized in these stores. Usually going to the mall is like a chore, where I must get what I need. I also believe that you can have too many clothes, like if you're not wearing things in your closet even once in a season. Then you have too many clothes and you are throwing your money away. You shouldn't buy things you are not going to use, wear, or give away. Now if you're buying things to donate, that is different. I don't think you can donate too much at any given time. Donation is a must for the society and the soul. Considering though most of us don't actually go to the mall to buy clothes and necessities to donate.

I also find that these are clothes everyone is going to wear. It feels a little eerie to be honest. Wearing the exact same thing, as everyone else. I love my own sense of style (needless to say it is never great) I don't actually like following the fashion. Things become the IT thing to wear and IT thing not to wear. Just because some person says this is how they imagine the spring, I don't find myself compelled to wear and execute his or her vision. It's an absurd idea. I've always been fond of wearing what appeals to me and what seems to highlight the ideas that I feel are important aspects of myself to represent and tell others about myself.

So, Malls are not good for me and they also get me depressed. My hopes of humanity diminish slowly through the malls of the World in general.

No comments: