A World of Ramblings

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dedication

Dedication is quite a simple word. Many of us use it in and out time and time again in our life times. But how dedicated are we and what are we dedicated to? What kind of dedication do we expect and require from others? I think dedication is one of those principles in life that determines who we are and what we are. It determines our life dreams and the our capabilities as individuals.

Dedication was something I did not have. I might have persevered in life throughout various means and times, but not through my dedication to life. Dedication is something I am coming to learn the true meaning of and what it means in practical life and what it means to have it. The only dedication I've seem to have in my life is towards my mother which has in the past wavered, though my hope is that it won't be thinned out n the future. Secondly to my writing. For the past three years, I've been consistent in my dedication to my writing. For the first time it was a conscious decision and it was something I've been able to follow up throughout the test of time thus far. Though my enduring wish is for it to  continue no matter how busy and difficult my life may get. I have devoted countless hours, shifted all of my efforts and all of my available time, if not have created the time for my writing. I have spent every available penny, if not available have taken the money from other parts of my life to supplement to writing. Whether it be purchasing novels, quizzes or books on writing, workshops and the such. I've deemed a top priority of mine and have resolved to make it the dedication of my life. No matter what, whether I get published or not, whether I become a bestseller or not, whether I become a critically acclaimed writer or not, writing is something I've decided to dedicate my life to. That means reading, writing, learning and honing my craft to the best of my abilities for the rest of my life. Of course anyone who writes a word wishes to be recognized for his or her abilities and skills and I am no different. But whether I do will not and shall not become a determiner of my dedication. My reward is my courage to write down, my presumptuous attitude that continues to think I can get better and seeing the fruits of my labors on a completed work even if no one else gets to read it besides me. That in itself is enough reward for me to continue to work, because without writing, I am incomplete.

Finding something to dedicate your life to is difficult and often requires time. But it is of most essential thing in your life to do, no matter what it is, find something that you want to dedicate your life to. And always, while you dedicate your life to one particular thing, have a plan B that will not leave you stranded in the middle of the deep ocean. Modern world is too cruel to give you a life boat.

No comments: