A World of Ramblings

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Good Student

All through elementary, middle and high school, eventually my first two years of college, I was what you called the bright, but bad student. I was bright, my teachers knew it, my parents knew it, my friends knew it, my classmates knew it, and worst of all, I knew it. This made me less inclined to do homework (because, I didn't need to do the homework to understand the material) and I had a horrible attendance record. And because I didn't keep myself engaged in the class, I was less likely to attend class, less likely to care about the class and the material. Because of that, I missed important due dates, exams and sometimes failed solely due to the fact that I just didn't attend the class enough times.

Understanding the material and engaging in what I learned wasn't the problem. After two years of terrible grades, it was time that I lost my financial aid and began to understand the importance of attending classes and being a good student. As evidently, being bright didn't get you to pass your classes. People didn't let you graduate because you were bright. Rightly so. Evidently, I learned the hard way to be a good student. To be organized, to do the assignments well before the day before the due date, turn them in on time and at least review for the exams. I developed good skills after those two years. I was able to organize very well in time I found out. I was great at time management and getting the best out of my day, especially if I also had to do 40 hour weeks and all of my classes were squished into one day. I was great at studying ahead so that I always had enough time to do my assignments. These skills I learned are great skills that has carried over to my personal and writing life.

I am grateful for them, however until I experienced those two years, it would have been impossible for me to learn these valuable lessons, I now never forget.

No comments: