A World of Ramblings

Sunday, April 14, 2013

School

I've been thinking about school lately. How far I've come from that goal in the years that has brought me here. It was the second biggest purpose of my moving out here, all alone, without my family. Perhaps, it should have been number one. If I ever end up having children, this is one thing I'll tell them honestly, thoroughly, so they can make a better decision for themselves. Education is so important. I keep coming back to this point, because although school doesn't teach you everything (and it can't. There is a purpose to school and if you're a good student, you can take so much more from the classes you are attending, then what they can solely give you off the books) but it can give you enough information to make informed choices, learn of ways to get to information and can equip you with a resume builder items that will allow you to have a job. Someone like me, has no choice but to work at places like restaurants, coffee shops. If I am lucky, and push hard enough, perhaps a secretary of sorts. But, how long will that last me before I grow bored and want a change of environment, a better paying job with less physical labor? Not very long. How much money can I make off of it that will allow me to take vacations in the summer, attend writing workshops?

I can't do what I want to do with minimum wage jobs (and not because they're demeaning, because they pay too low, much lower then what they should be paying). I want to have a good career where I feel like I am making a change. Where my skills can make a difference. I want to feel actively engaging in a part of world that is getting better. In order to do all of this, I need to get an education. But it's been so long since the last time I attended school that I just don't know how to go back, where to start and how to obtain all of that information. I feel stuck. Because I feel stuck, I won't get that information and because I don't have that information, I can't make changes.

Perhaps starting with UW mini courses, perhaps on fiction. I've got to start somewhere and maybe along the way, I'll obtain the information I desperately need.

Besides, I feel like school is the place where I shine the most. I have learned (through high cost) what it means to be a good student and it has now become a good part of who I am. I can be a great student, if only, given the chance.

No comments: