A World of Ramblings

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Con Arist

I know I am going to open a can of warms here by talking about this on a blog site. But considering I barely get any comments and the matter of fact is that my viewership is so low that probably no one will notice.

I am not judgmental or anything, just a keen observer is all. It feels like everyone wants to be an artist without having to pay the price for it and without having to give up the sacrifices it requires. I guess that upsets me. Being artist for me includes anything from performance arts, to illustrative arts, to the art of words. So dancers, singers, writers, sculptors, painters, musicians, they're all in the same boat, highly skilled, highly dedicated and yet so misunderstood, so unappreciated and always isolated to the fringes of society.

Being artist is a tough work (not that I would know anything about it, other than the fact of being as aspiring writer; which really means I have no talent, but I keep trying and trying to learn the craft, but I lack the necessary built in intuition, so really nothing at all), but I know plenty of the arts itself to know it is a tough work and what it means to be an artist and the difficulties of the artists. So to me, it feels like these people are cheating all kinds of artists from their efforts, time, rewards and glory by trying to be wise ass artists by writing a few stupid lines in which barely encompasses anything at all, but just pretty words.

Just going through my Facebook home page alone, everyone is saying something. It's either one thing over another. Everyone has an opinion, which is great, but they have an opinion on things they don't know. Things they haven't even given a try to. Plays they haven't seen, books they haven't read, music they haven't listened to, performances they haven't attended, exhibitions they did not  go to see. Quite paradoxical, don't you think? Yet, they all seem some sort of experts in their work, in their pioneered styles and they go off talking about it like such a authoritative expert, making assumptions, claims and comparisons and declaring their own superiority to them.

Unfortunately, that's not all either. In a day where our rights are being partitioned away gradually, we are further compromising our own privacy (I am no better at this) by talking about highly sensitive and personal events and information on line, open to everyone's criticism, painting it in light we choose, telling it from the perspective of an unreliable narrator. But, it seems to me, everyone has become writers through the usage of explicit and expletive soundbites, without further analyzing or dwelling behind the understanding of the words they seem to write. They have no understanding, no respect, nor knowledge of the craft of writing, storytelling and the oral history that has spanned millenniums of any culture and country. It's a very sad fact and it's a behavior many of us encourage.

Don't get me wrong arts are for everyone and anyone who has an interest in it, should pick it up, learn about it and give it a try. It's not just for the select few. I would recommend writing to anyone. But without disrespecting the efforts, talents and time of others who has spent decades on their craft.

No comments: