A World of Ramblings

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Sunday

Today is the last Sunday shift I'll be working at Sinbad's. It's a little melancholy, but I am also looking forward to resting at the same time. My last shift at Sinbad's will be on next Saturday. Where did the summer go?

I have no idea, but I am not nearly done with my reading list. Lately, I've been getting more time to myself (I don't mean uninterrupted, blocks of hours), but it's better than none and when used well I've been able to finish some of my reading. But it's hard to keep that up every time I have shall we say personal time, to use it for just reading as there are a billion things to do, including rest and sleep. My reading in Rochester has been shackled to reading late at night, sacrificing from my sleep and waking up earlier than everyone else so that I could have some quiet to focus on the book. Sleeping late and waking up early though can be detrimental and forget about doing anything when everyone else wakes up. I'll catch up I say to myself when I go back to my place. At the very least I am hopeful.

What I like best about working at Sinbad's is that you get to observe and interact with so many people, good and bad that it gives you great insight as a writer, and so many great character materials to your stories, whether it be short-stories or novel length. While this doesn't work out perfectly as a character in a story needs more than just physical attributes and some mini sketches of dialogue. Then the call for more information arrives. But with some sort of base, it's much easier to guess and fill in information. Sometimes I use Sinbad's as a setting, the mood of the day and write about the characters that has accumulated there. Or other times, I use the dialogues I've caught and character descriptions in other stories where I deem appropriate and that fits in. That's one thing I absolutely adore and love about Sinbad's. It's also much easier to be ruthless with these characters as I have no emotional ties to them and many of them are obnoxious and rude.


No comments: