A World of Ramblings

Monday, June 17, 2013

Motherhood

What is motherhood? Why is it revered outwardly, however we are continually punished by the societies we live in by being restrained in our identities as mothers, nearly banned from our public spaces in the world.

I've always believed in and adored mothers, motherhood and even dreamed of being a mother myself, at sometime. This went from educating myself on motherhood, infant, child related issues, solutions and psychology from short seminars to classes to blog searching. I've observed, asked and listened. Obviously, none of this is enough until I have a child of my own. I also never believed that having children should limit the capacity of a woman in the public sphere. Nor did I consider that having children should change the fabric of a person's soul fundamentally that they should just seek the comforts of their home from then on. I think women who become parents, mothers have more on the line. They have more risks, more responsibilities and more they have to stand up to. They have more to learn, to stretch and less time to do all of this in. Nonetheless, I find mothers powerful in and of themselves. I also find them to be awe-inspiring. Mothers hearts stretch, grow and have more to give. They're always looking for more practical ways to do things, more time, and master the art of multi-tasking.

I have no idea what kind of a mother I will be when I have kids--that is if I ever change my decision to have children again--and no body can guess or know until I pop one out. Though, that would be oversimplifying it. But let's go with the popular lingo here.

It saddens me to see mothers like the recent conversation partner I have made that motherhood is a prison and a place that emasculates them for a better lack of word. They find children stifling, overbearing and like an obstacle in life to be lived through and removed in which the adult can return to her life, once the child is independent enough (meaning when elementary school).

I also can't particularly understand women who feels that this entirely empowers them to be lazy, stay at home and do nothing at all ( I am not talking about home makers here, who work throughout the day, and throughout the night, without a day off, without a paycheck and the appreciation that is earned and that should be shown often by all the work that these women do for their homes, for their spouses and their children) and feel that it is a right they have earned by deciding to get married and have a child or children. It isn't the goal of motherhood. Because if anything, domestic chores take a lot of time to clean up and prepare, takes seconds to undo and hence others around the house don't do them, cannot appreciate them and does not understand how much work it takes to keep a home neat, tidy and meals cooked.

No comments: