A World of Ramblings

Monday, March 26, 2012

"Who Were the Celts?"by Kevin Duffy

It is no secret that I love Celtic culture and in practicality, virtually anything that has anything to do with the Celts. I love their imaginative, traditional stories of the past, their fairy legends and their myths. Not to mention their mythic past that is filled with wars, famine and the consciousness of liberty.

I was at Barnes and Noble on St.Patrick's day and there were great deals on books that were related to Ireland in particular, but also many great titles and from the appearance of things about things that were Celtic. I was able to snatch two great books this year in comparison to one great book last year.

While, I've only started reading this book, therefore I can't actually write a review of this book, yet.  I am overly excited to read through the fourteen chapters that seems a little over reaching in it's aspirations, but rather balanced (not balanced too well), aspiring to give a great sense of the Celts in general from historical to the mythical to the present day.

Considering the fact that I love Celtic culture, it's pretty significant for me to know their history in more detail with more concrete facts rather than my current ball-park knowledge. To include in this, my Scottish protagonist who is a professor of Celtic Studies in a prestigious university requires of me to get in all the way to my elbows of Celtic History and Culture research. With this book in hand I feel a little closer to the ending of my story, a little closer to my protagonist, hyped up and inspired once again.

Ah the affects of Spring.

No comments: