A World of Ramblings

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Deconstruction

Deconstruction of our old apartment has begun. Since early September the premises of the complex were fenced, a lot of different kinds of demolishing machines were brought in and everything from the apartments were moved out, one by one. They didn't demolish the whole thing at once, I don't know the reasons behind it, but piece by piece it seems they'll do it. I wonder how long it will take to take all that debris out of there, start the base for a new construction and if they will actually have construction this winter.

To be honest, it feels like both a relief, a physical way to get over the past and at the same time, makes my stomach a little queasy. It's a relief because everything S has related to the past four years of his life, has been tarnished, torn down and destroyed with the destruction of the building. It's a clean, clear physical manifestation of moving on, closing one chapter and opening another. On the next hand, I am queasy because, my own memories with S in that house are also physically now demolished.

I guess you really can't have your pie and eat it too.


No comments: